Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Filing for Chapter 9


Yes, here is my post for chapter 9. We made a fancy map tonight, and learned a lot about how to do that. How to format every little detail to make it really nice looking and easy to understand. Greg was the teacher tonight, and he was very knowledgeable, like Pete. Greg really likes the North Arrow. He says it should be at the top, because it is so important to him. I'm pretty sure he was talking about the top of the map, but it may have been a metaphor for life. The North Arrow orients you, and without orientation, you really can't do much of anything. Greg saying the North Arrow should be at the top, I don't know, its almost like he worships the North Arrow. Or perhaps it is more of a fetish. Really I can't blame him for wanting to have direction in life, and to be well oriented. I may look into this North Arrow and see if it could help me too.

We also played a little with some real local data from Asheville. I tried to make a map that highlighted places where railroad tracks intersect with streams. I haven't learned enough to do that yet. I look forward to being able to do that in the future.

Greg also showed some impressive animated GIS things he did. One was a map of the riverfront of Asheville showing the river at 100 year flooding water levels. Well, it was not just a map, it was a 3D rendering with buildings and everything, and the POV was as if you were flying around the area. You could see how far up the buildings the water level was.

No comments: